Tuesday, September 26, 2006

WHO YOU CALLIN' A MORON?
SMART FOLKS STRIKE BACK

So help me, the Washington Square News continues to provide a forum for my eloquent insight. Sort of.

For what it's worth, I said a lot more than this budding reporter chose to excerpt from my responses. My full statement, intact with original questions, lies here.



> -----Original Message-----
> From:
> To:
> Sent: 9/21/2006 11:58 AM
> Subject: Hello from the Washington Square News!
>
> Hello, I am writing an article about the
> class you all took this sumer entitled "Media and Society: Fake News,
> Politics & Public Policy." I was just wondering if you could please
> answer a few questions for me about the class. This article is due at
> 1pm this Friday afternoon so if you could please get back to me before
> then that would be great.
>
> 1. Why did you decide to take the class?
>
> I was taking a magazine class that turned out to be "travel
> writing." That's not really my thing, since my primary major is
> cinema studies. Professor Cutbirth's class was way more up my
> alley. Plus, I accidentally walked into his class on the first day
> of my travel class and saw how serious he was about this
> fascinating topic that most people wouldn't treat with the proper
> degree of intellectualism.
>
> 2. What was your favorite and/or least favorite thing about the
> class?
>
> I enjoyed having long discussions about the way that fake news
> results from the public's desire to refurnish the way they recieve
> information. Also, attending The Colbert Report was fun!
>
> 3. Would you recommend this class to other students?
>
> Definetly. I hope the bigwigs at NYU journalism can muster enough
> courage to admit that Jon Stewart is hardly "the anti-Christ," as
> one faculty member allegedly remarked. But I doubt they've got it
> in them to disavow thier old fashioned J-school principles. And I
> say that with love.
>
> 4. What is your major? What year are you? What division of NYU are you
> in? (Such as CAS)
>
> I'm a senior in Tisch double majoring in cinema studies and
> journalism.
> 5. Does this class relate to your major, if so how?
>
> Yes, because it utilizes a methodology for understanding cultural
> phenomenon that we apply in cinema studies when we "read" a film,
> by pulling it apart as a text. It is a dynamic way to understand
> how art affects the world.
>
> 6. This class was cited as one of the 10 most moronic college
> courses in
> America... do you agree or disagree?
>
> Fuck no. Where did you get that information? It was certainly the
> best (and maybe the only) worthwhile course I took in NYU's j-school.
>
> 7. What did you learn in this class that you couldn't learn in any
> otherclass?
> I learned how the marriage of politics and entrtainment dates back
> to Plato That's a concept we discuss in cinema studies too, but
> here the framework was television news, which gave it a unique slant.

3 Comments:

Blogger Idiot Savant Online said...

ah, the e-mail interview. that's one step better than the kids who post questions on the NYU Livejournal feed.

and you wonder why I left "news" to become a lackluster film editor.

that said, going to see 400 blows tomorrow at 8:30 (or so i'd like to believe.) catch me up on lost later, or else come see "discreet charm" on friday if you're around.

6:58 PM  
Blogger m3zotk68hn said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

4:47 AM  
Blogger m605qxh said...

hey, I just got a free $500.00 Gift Card. you can redeem yours at Abercrombie & Fitch All you have to do to get yours is Click Here to get a $500 free gift card for your backtoschool wardrobe

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home